A TIMELINE OF KINGS LYNN HISTORY

By Tim Lambert

1101 The Bishop gives the people of Kings Lynn the right to hold weekly markets and annual fairs

1204 King John gives Kings Lynn a charter (a document granting the town certain rights)

1348 Kings Lynn is a large and important town with a population of 5,500-6,0000. Wool, grain and salt are exported and pitch, fish and iron are imported.

1406 St Georges Guildhall is built

1475 The Hanseatic Warehouse is built

1485 Red Mount Chapel is built

1500 Kings Lynn is declining in importance although the port is still busy

1524 Kings Lynn is given a corporation and a mayor

1534 A grammar school is founded in Kings Lynn

1537 The king takes control of the town from the bishop. From then on it is known as Kings Lynn instead of Bishops Lynn.

1572 Thatched roofs are banned in Kings Lynn to reduce the risk of fire

1605 Greenland Fishery House is built

1643 During the Civil War Kings Lynn is captured by a parliamentary army

1665 Plague strikes Kings Lynn

1683 The Custom House is built

1720s Daniel Defoe describes Kings Lynn as 'Beautiful, well built and well situated'

1784 The first bank opens in Kings Lynn

1801 The population of Kings Lynn is 10,096

1832 Cholera strikes Kings Lynn

1835 The Lynn and West Norfolk Hospital opens

1847 The railway reaches Kings Lynn

1861 The County Court is built

1869 Alexandra Dock is built

1883 Bentinck Dock is built

1904 A museum opens in Kings Lynn

1905 A public library opens

1910 The first cinema opens in Kings Lynn

1962 It is decided Kings Lynn should be an overflow town for London

1982 Lynnsport opens

1991 True's Yard Fishing Museum opens

1992 The Town House Museum opens

2003 A new skate and bike park opens

A history of Kings Lynn

A timeline of Norwich

A timeline of Wisbech

A timeline of Boston

A timeline of Lincoln

Home