A BRIEF HISTORY OF LEWES, EAST SUSSEX
By Tim Lambert
Lewes began as a Saxon village. The Saxons invaded East Sussex in the 5th century. Lewes was probably founded in the 6th century. (The name Lewes is probably derived from a Saxon word, 'hluews' which meant slopes or hills). Later the Saxons made Lewes a town. In the late 9th century King Alfred made a network of fortified settlements across his kingdom called burhs.
By the early 10th century Lewes was made a burh. In the event of a Danish attack all the men in the area would gather in Lewes to fight. Saxon Lewes was protected by a ditch and an earth rampart probably with a wooden stockade on top. (In the Middle Ages stone walls were erected around the town).
However Saxon Lewes was more than a fortress. It was also a busy little town. Lewes had weekly markets. In the 10th century it also had 2 mints, showing it was a place of some importance. However to us Lewes would seem tiny. At the time of the Norman Conquest in 1066 Lewes probably had less than 2,000 inhabitants. Nevertheless by Medieval standards Lewes was a fair sized town.
The Normans built a castle to guard Lewes. At first it was made of wood but later it was rebuilt in stone. The Normans also founded the priory (small abbey) of St Pancras in Lewes.
In the 13th century Franciscan friars arrived in Lewes. Friars were like monks but instead of withdrawing from the world they went out to preach. Franciscan friars were called grey friars because of the colour of their costumes.
In 1148 King Stephen granted Lewes a charter (a document granting the townspeople certain rights). In the Middle Ages Lewes was a busy little river port. Grain and wool from Sussex were exported from there.
In 1264 the Battle of Lewes was fought between King Henry III and some rebellious barons led by Simon de Monfort. The barons won a decisive victory and the king was captured.
In 1512 a Free Grammar School was founded in Lewes. However in 1537 Henry VIII dissolved the Priory. Later Caen stone from its buildings were used to make Southover Grange. In 1540 Henry gave Anne of Cleves House to his wife after their divorce. (Although Anne never actually lived there).
Like all towns in those days Lewes suffered from outbreaks of plague. It struck in 1538. Furthermore during the reign of ‘Bloody Mary’ 1553-1558 17 Protestants from Sussex were martyred in Lewes.
In the 18th century Lewes was a busy little port and the principal town of Sussex.
The famous radical, Tom Paine, lived in Lewes from 1768 to 1774. He worked as an excise man but was sacked after writing a book arguing that excise men should be better paid!.
The famous paleontologist Gideon Mantell was born in Lewes.
At the beginning of the 19th century Lewes a fair sized town. It grew rapidly in the early 19th century. However in the late 19th century growth slowed and Lewes became less important.
During the 19th century there were a number of improvements to Lewes. In 1806 an Act of Parliament formed a body of men called Improvement Commissioners with powers to pave, clean and light the streets of Lewes. Lewes gained gas light in 1822. Lewes gained an electricity supply in 1901.
However in 1836 8 people were killed by a snow avalanche in Lewes.
The railway reached Lewes in 1846. The railway mean the end of Lewes as a port as it was now easier to transport goods by train than by water.
Lewes was made a borough in 1881. A new Town Hall was built in 1893. Victoria Hospital was built in 1910. In 1920 Wynne Baxter gave the Pells to the town of Lewes.
By 1901 Lewes was a prosperous market town with a population of 11,000. by 1951 the population was 13,000. Today Lewes remains an attractive market town.
A new Magistrates Court was built in 1986. The Thebes Gallery opened in Lewes in 2000.
Today the population of Lewes in 16,000.
A timeline of Lewes
A history of Brighton
A history of Eastbourne
A history of Hastings
A history of Tunbridge
A history of Hastings