A TIMELINE OF WATERLOOVILLE

By Tim Lambert

1711 A turnpike road is built through the forest between Portsdown Hill and Horndean

1810 The forest is divided into plots and sold for building

1815 An inn called the Heroes of Waterloo stands by the road. The new settlement around the inn is called Waterloo (later it was called Waterlooville).

1831 St George's Church is consecrated

1836 Admiral Charles Napier buys a house and renames it Merchistoun Hall

1847 Gales Ales is founded in Horndean

1851 Waterlooville has a population of 195

1854 A Baptist Chapel is built in Chapel Road

1860 A Boys School opens in Horndean

c. 1867 An inn called the Spotted Cow is built

1869 Purbrook Industrial School opens

1880 All Saints Church is built

1881 Hulbert Road is built

1885 St Michael's Convent is built

1900 Harold Wadham begins making bicycles. Later his brother joins him.

1901 Waterlooville has a population of 609. The estate around Hart Plain House is sold for building.

1903 The Horndean Light Railway begins

1904 Waterlooville gains gas street light

1908 Wadham Brothers begin making coaches

1929 Butser Turf is founded

1932 Havant and Waterlooville Urban District Council is formed

1935 Horndean Light Railway closes

1936 The Curzon Cinema opens

1939 A fire station opens in Horndean

1951 Waterlooville has a population of 2,881. It begins to grow very rapidly. Cowplain and Horndean also grow rapidly.

1959 The Curzon Cinema closes

1962 A shopping arcade is built on the east side of London Road

1964 Plessey move to Waterlooville

1965-66 Wellington Arcade is built

1973 Waterlooville Library moves to a new building

1983 Waterlooville inner relief road is built

1985 London Road Shopping Centre is made a precinct

1991 A swimming pool opens

waterlooville

A view of Waterlooville

2000 Dukes Walk opens

2006 Horndean brewery closes

A history of Waterlooville

A timeline of Havant

A timeline of Petersfield

A timeline of Hambledon

Home