A TIMELINE OF THE HISTORY OF CLAPHAM, LONDON
By Tim Lambert
Late 5th Century AD The Saxons found a village (a ham) by a short hill (a clopp)
1086 The Domesday Book mentions a small village it calls Clopeham. For centuries Clapham remains a tiny village.
Late 17th Century Clapham begins to grow. Refugees arrive from the plague in London in 1665 and the fire of 1666.
1690 Stagecoaches begin running between Clapham and London
1700 Samuel Pepys retires to London
Late 18th Century Clapham becomes a fashionable place for the rich to live close to the growing city of London. Lavender is grown in fields near Clapham.
1776 Holy Trinity Church is built
1783 Henry Cavendish moves to Clapham
1788-1835 Captain Cook's widow lives in Clapham
1792 Henry Thornton moves to a house at Clapham. John Venn becomes vicar of Clapham.
1801 Clapham has a population of 3,864
1802 Zachary Macauly moves to Clapham
Mid 19th Century Thomas Cubbitt builds Clapham Park Estate
1862 Clapham High Street Station is built making it easier for commuters to live in Clapham and work in London
1872-77 Shaftesbury Estate is built
1877 The Metropolitan Board of Works purchases Clapham Common
1889 Clapham Library is built. Clapham ceases to be part of Surrey and becomes part of the County of London.
1890 The bandstand is built on Clapham Common
1891 Trinity Hospice is founded
1900 Tube stations open in Clapham. Clapham Grand opens.
1900-1902 Natsume Soseki lives in Clapham
1906 Clapham Clock Tower is erected
Clapham Clock Tower
1930s William Bonney Estate is built
1944 V1 flying bombs hit Clapham.
1964 Clapham Fire Station opens
1988 South London Natural Health Centre opens.
1992 Clapham Picture House opens
1998 Clapham Art Gallery opens
2004 Lambeth Academy opens
A History of Clapham
A Timeline of London
A Timeline of Kingston upon Thames
A Timeline of Bermondsey
A Timeline of England